Saturday, July 19, 2008

Tango et câlins

There is an open air milonga in the park, a very pretty place, a kind of a bower which actually looks almost exactly like La Glorieta in Belgrano, only the floor is not tiles but wood - and pretty rough at that; I wore a pair of shoes that had the privilege of only having trodden the beautiful Canning parquet, so that after dancing in them nights on end the soles were practically intact, whereas now, after a few hours they´re all coarse and scratched. Ah, Canning... my feet have had a passionate love affair with its dancefloor; no matter what you think about Canning, its parquet IS the best in town, and the best I have ever danced on - apart from the corner in front of the bar, where the parquet is damaged and uneven.. but I digress. So there I was sitting on the stairs and putting on my shoes and next to me there was a young woman with a little girl and a little boy, all of them watching the dancers, and then the little girl said, pensively -
´Ils font des câlins
Her mother shook her head at her question and said ´No silly, they aren´t cuddling, they´re dancing!´
I laughed. And I told the little girl ´It is tango, they are half cuddling, half dancing.´
I wish I had seen someone dance tango when I was 5; I wonder what I would have made of it..?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute story, i wonder which part i prefer ;-)

one2tango said...

Mais la combinaison, évidemment! Faire des câlins en dansant, qu'a-t-il de mieux? :)

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet :-)

And yes, Canning has the best floor!

Anonymous said...

My nephew, when he was 3, cried when he saw me giving a tango lesson to my sister, his mother. He thought I was doing something bad.