Wednesday, May 07, 2008

More Milonga Musings

Tanguillo mentioned in his comment to my previous post that one must ´tener el sabor (de la milonga)´ to dance it well; I say that to dance milonga well, you must love milonga, nothing less than that.
It boils down to the same thing, really.
If you´re not confident about the way you dance milonga, if you´re insecure about it, if you dance it tentatively rather than with gusto, in short if you don´t revel in dancing milonga - then you are not dancing milonga. IMHO.
You can always tell from your partner´s reaction when they hear the first notes of milonga:
´Oh - uhm - milonga..´ (eyes going wide with horror)
or
´Oh - milonga.. well, shall we try?´
and other like reactions generally bode no good.
Unlike
´Milonga!!!´ (usually exclaimed by both simultaneously, with delighted smiles), at which point the couple quickly embraces and starts dancing without further ado because milongas are too short to waste time with words.

Once, I met this bloke (on the dancefloor); I had never danced with him before, didn´t know him at all, and our first tanda ever was MILONGA (risky, I know.) But we clicked, it was great, and in the pause after the first song, smiling delightedly and unable to believe our good luck, I said ´Adoro la milonga!´ to which he answered, ´Bueno, agarráte!´ And off we went.
:)))
THAT is milonga attitude. Not ´uh, well, shall we...?´

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I've had those 'Milonga!!!' moments. Usually accompanied by huge smiles. I guess it means that I love milonga...

I remember one asking a friend of mine why she danced with a particular leader who had a tendency to manhandle his dance partners around the floor. She replied "He loves the music".

Anonymous said...

Ah milonga. All that is required is a desire to dance and the ability to channel John Cleese in the Ministry of Funny Walks sketch.

one2tango said...

Uhh.. I am not all that sure about John Cleese... :))) but who knows?

AlexTangoFuego said...

Yes, a "cold call" milonga invitation can be very risky. I'm even more selective with milonga partners than tango partners. Currently, only two followers come to mind who can truly follow everything I can give them in milonga. Sadly, I sat out many milonga tandas at the Atlanta Tango Festival - I couldn't find anyone.

I do love milonga...ahhh milonga...