Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Just like BsAs

Not the tango.
Although I can´t complain, I´ve had some really nice tandas yesterday. So nice, actually, that I stayed much later than I had meant to; when I arrived to the métro, the entrance was already shut for the night.
I had been chatting with this fellow at the milonga, and when I was leaving, he insisted on walking me to the métro - just across the street, but the neighbourhood doesn´t have a very good reputation, and he seemed upset at the idea that I should take the métro alone at that hour - apparently Spaniards are gentlemen, and courtesy towards women ought to be encouraged, so I gracefully let him accompany me.
Seeing the entrance shut I decided to take a taxi, so he walked with me to a nearby taxi station. The taxis are all in uniform colours, with the emblem of the city, registration number, etc. My companion suspiciously squinted into the one I was going to take, and said with a solicitous expression: ´Hmm.. the driver looks ok.. I hope he´s a serious person..´
I laughed, shook my head, and thinking something about over-protective gentlemen said good night to him and got into the taxi.
The African driver was very amiable, we chatted on the way, and when we arrived, I got off on the roundabout, because my street is a one-way one, and my house is about ten metres from the roundabout. It is one of the expensive and posh neighbourhoods, with boutiques and cafeterias, very calm and generally considered safe.
As I was getting off, the taxi driver said, approvingly: ´Aah, the street is very well lit; you shouldn´t get mugged.´
Excuse me?!!
For a split second, I felt just like in Buenos Aires.

3 comments:

La Nuit Blanche said...

a friend and i were talking about this just last night... he offered to design a shoulder-bag for me, that could get strapped on around my body, so no one would be able to pickpocket it from me. lol. and a camera cover that would look just like a crappy handbag, so no one would be tempted to steal it.

i thought it excessive...

however, i always wondered how to deal with the cash i will need for milongas/cab rides in bsas? should i stick everything into my clothes? :-/

one2tango said...

Dear Nuit, you know my opinions on the matter.. I may of course be entirely wrong and insanely reckless but.. I also think it excessive.
I always carried my stuff in a purse, one I use at home too, and I never got stolen from. Mind you, it wasn´t a Gucci bag, or anything like that - that´s not my style; if it were - well then I probably wouldn´t be standing on the bus stop at Once at night, but sitting in a taxi:)
I wasn´t particularly careful of my purse either, but maybe I was lucky, and also I apparently looked like a porteña, so that may have helped.. don´t know.
An expensive professional camera is an altogether different matter, I suppose you know best there; but, you will still need to take it out if you are to use it, so what´s the use of concealing it..?
As for the cash, well, it is only money, and you´re not likely to carry all of your money with you, so the harm wouldn´t be that great after all; the traditional advice is - only carry as much money with you as you can afford to loose, but not so little as to make a potential thief/robber angry.. but I am sure a New Yorker will know:)

Anonymous said...

Nuit - I say, careful with the camera but as far as money and stuff, I too carry everything in my purse. Just don't have like a thousand pesos on you. You won't need that much anyway. I tend to keep just enough pesos for the night in my purse, and a few pesos in my bra just in case, if I'm at a milonga.
Really though, Buenos Aires is a normal city where normal people live, and where normal girls carry normal purses. Use your common sense caution ;-) It's the same as New York as far as safety is concerned.