Thursday, January 31, 2008

Traveller´s hysteria?

Two more days... I can´t wait, though I´m dreading the overseas flight. I have never taken sleeping pills in my life, but maybe I could have some now, to knock myself out for the night flight, so that I don´t have to think about the abyss below, and the depths of the ocean? For some reason the idea fills me with horror, similar to the one I feel when sailing on a ship at night, and thinking of the terrifying depths of the dark sea below, from which I am only separated by the thin bottom of the ship; and that is my beloved Mediterranean I am talking about, and not the gloomy grey Atlantic! It is a sort of a vertigo (which I do not have, but I imagine it must feel like that).

Now now, I am growing macabre.

I am so looking forward to Buenos Aires and the summer. I must have forgotten what it looks like. And the travelling. We are planning to go to the Noroeste, Salta, Jujuy. I have been reading some stuff about that region, and it´s fascinating. Now, this is not a travels blog – I find they tend to be rather tedious to read – but it is, after all, where my chemin du tango is taking me (theoretically; in practice it is my man who has this thing about pre-Spanish Latin American cultures:)), and I have a couple of questions for those tangueros, or porteños, who have ventured out of the capital into the northwestern provinces:

First and foremost, should I bring my dancing shoes, or am I not to bother?

And what about the water? I drink tap water (c.f. Tagged), but the guide mentions that the water in the northwest (and only there, it seems) is ´not reliable´ - and also says to beware of salads and fruits and vegetables if you don´t know what water they were washed in (well, show me a restaurant where they wash vegetables in bottled water..) – so, am I to drink bottled water and starve during the trip? Then again I don´t know how ´reliable´ the guide is – I always read guides to places I know well, out of curiosity, and there are always both really useful tips and complete nonsense and paranoia. Hmmmmmm....

But it is all my fault. I have just realized the other day that since I want to travel up north, I should perhaps consider some vaccination (I know, silly me, but it never occured to me for going to Buenos Aires..). I called a health center and they confirmed this and told me off for thinking of it so late.

I am going through the profile of Argentina on the website of the Pan American Health Organization, but will stop now, because it is seriously scary. All epidemics seem to break out in the Salta or Jujuy region, where many horrible diseases are endemic, apparently. Right; I don´t think I want to know this.

Ok, there is definitely something wrong with me tonight. Should have gone dancing.

Speaking of dancing, I have victoriously emerged from my post-New Year-depression. Last week, as a matter of fact, I had two fabulous tandas with two fabulous dancers; and apparently, the pleasure was mutual;) Can´t wait to dance in Buenos Aires.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi one2tango,

I travelled through Argentina a few years ago From Chile down to the far south then up through BsAs to Paraguay.

As far as water was concerned, I only drank treated water/bottled water. Although tap water would have been a lot tastier, it just isn't worth the risk, and it was only for a few weeks. Bottled water is sold everywhere and quite cheap. In the cities you can also easily buy tastier mineral waters.

Be careful about tap water in hotels as the water often goes via storage tanks located at the top of the hotel. These storage tanks are not always the cleanest of tanks as they are rarely cleaned out internally, if ever!

As for salad, fruits and veg, I ate these in hotels and cafes throughout Argentina and didn't have any problems. I also bought from supermarkets and local market stalls.

Enjoy your trip and the dancing,
David

one2tango said...

Thank you David, that sounds quite reassuring:)
One more question - did you get vaccinated for your trip? I didn´t, and they won´t vaccinate me now as I have a cold and it´s apparently too risky, so the doctor told me to either stay in Buenos Aires, or be very careful...:(

Anonymous said...

Hi One2tango,

Yes, I had all sorts of vaccinations as I was travelling a lot and had been over the past few years and most vaccinations last for 10 years or so.

Hopefully though I was careful enough to ensure that I didn't need to test the vaccinations!

I didn't go to the north west where you plan to go as I headed to the north east and into Paraguay.

As it's too late to get vaccinations now, assuming you still intend to head north west, just use common sense and be careful. Maintain hygiene, anti-bacterial handwash or hand wipes are useful there. If you buy fresh fruit or veg, make sure you either wash them well or better, peel them. If you eat in restaurants or cafes, make sure the place and staff look clean.

If there are a lot of flying insects around sunset and during the evening make sure you cover up (long sleeves and long skirt/trousers). Put some sort of insect repellant on exposed flesh.

It's really just a matter of being aware about what's going on around you without being paranoid about it...

Have fun,
David

tangobaby said...

Hola,

I can't advise you on water, vaccinations, etc. but I can tell you not to bring too many shoes because you will find yourself buying more of them than you even imagined! Don't hold back, either. Given the exchange rate and the difficulty of popping over to Argentina whenever you feel like it, it will be worth it for you to stock up on as many pairs as you can and enjoy your shoe gluttony for years to come. Besides, you can always buy an extra suitcase for the trip home.

Enjoy your trip. You will love dancing there.

AlexTangoFuego said...

hola la una...

I didn't drink tap water, but did brush my teeth with it...and no problems.

Besides that, I didn't take any other precautions - ate everything and no vaccinations. I wouldn't worry about stuff like that unless I was going into the campo and working with livestock - or traveling into "la selva" in the Amazon.

BA is definitely not first world, but also not third world. It's a pretty modern, very large (12 or 15 million people) city.

I would say you'll be fine across the board if you let common sense prevail. Just don't walk by yourself down dark alleys (or sidewalks) late at night.

Have fun!

Oh....P.S....I might bring my favorite/most comfortable pair of shoes...we were dancing 10 hours a day...I would hate to do that whilst breaking in a new pair...I also brought massage oil...to massage my partner's feet every night before we went out...dancing is harder on women's feet than men's...