Friday, October 12, 2007

Sun, the Sea, and Tango

I have decided to take a break and gone off to see my parents. I have missed the south dearly and after spending the month of August in the Netherlands I needed a taste of real summer - because in this country of my childhood the autumn is warm and sunny, more summerlike, really, than the northern summer itself.

I initially didn´t mean to tango much here, but I brought my shoes, just in case – I take them everywhere with me, just in case – and eventually, overcome with curiosity (I have never danced tango here) and mild withdrawal symptoms, I set out to explore the local tango scene.

I was quite pleasantly surprised; the first milonga I went to had a great atmosphere and style, the dancing level was fairly good and there were many young men – maybe more men then women, or so it felt at least, for I never waited longer than a couple of songs for an invitation. In any case, it seems tango is becoming rather fashionable among the young people here, which is good:)

Besides, there is this delightful detail: the men here are not very tall, not by northern standards, anyway. I am sort of petite myself, and though I am quite used to dancing with tall men, since most men in the north are much taller than I am, I find a big difference in height inevitably interferes with the connection between the dancers. It was ever so pleasant to dance with men – most of them, here – whose height is just right for me – it made our connection very natural and effortless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you back! Where were you?
Besos...

tangobaby said...

Glad to see you back writing again (I assume you've been dancing all this time!).

It is the best feeling when you are dancing with someone who is the right size for you. I know that it's possible to dance well with people a lot taller or shorter than I am, but it never feels "at home."

La Nuit Blanche said...

welcome back! i have been missing your writing.

this is a very sweet post. heart-to-heart, with the right height. :)

besos.

one2tango said...

Thanks, everyone - it´s really nice to be welcomed back:) Been dancing, but also moving around places with no internet connection (oh yes, that actually exists!)
Have a great time in Venice, Tangobaby and Nuit!