Sunday, October 14, 2007

Confused

I hadn´t known a soul at that first milonga I went to here, but I got the impression that getting an invitation wasn´t a problem at all, and so I set out for my second milonga full of optimism. Turns out it is a very – and I mean very – small place, lots of people sitting at the tables and around the bar, but no one dancing. I was somewhat taken aback – it was a quarter to midnight, SOME dancers were bound to have arrived, even here, where people never, ever, go out before eleven; I even considered leaving, but then, I had nothing better to do, so I sat down, got myself a drink, and waited to see what would come out of it.

The situation improved somewhat around half past midnight, when several more people arrived and started, finally, some serious dancing (I later found out that someone had been celebrating their birthday there that evening and brought a lot of non-dancing friends – hence the deserted dancefloor and awkward atmosphere). And then this young bloke, apparently alone, crossed the floor and invited me to dance. It was nice, although he apologized saying he hadn´t danced for ages (he was on a short leave from the army, desperate for some dancing and women, as he earnestly put it), and after several tandas we sat down together and spent the rest of the night dancing and talking; and at one point, our talk turned to the (another) eternal topic – men/women and dance invitations in tango...

The cabeceo, alas, is not commonly practised here, not in its traditional form. Alas, I say, because it seems to me that the cabeceo is the most sensible and equitable system invented so far to allow both men AND women to choose their dance partners – though I am really curious to find out for myself when I go to Buenos Aires whether it really works so well in practice... From my experience, eye contact with (sensitive) leaders can also lead to their coming over to invite you, although, I admit, the strategy is far from being flawless. But seeing as I don´t invite men myself, I haven´t got much of a choice.

Opinions on who should invite whom differ; my own attitude in this respect is somewhat contradictory: I think it makes perfect sense for women to invite men, because they should, after all, also have a say in whom they dance with. That said, I never invite men myself, not because I disapprove of such practices, but because it simply doesn´t do for me; I don´t know whether it is my character, or upbringing, some inhibition, or just pride, but although I think there is nothing wrong with inviting men to dance, I cannot bring myself to do it. Perversely, I find it much more gratifying when someone I long to dance with comes to invite me without getting any sign from me, by the sheer force of telepathy.

Anyway, there was a shortage of men at that milonga, and, to my great awe, as we sat and talked, no less than four ladies came, one after another, and ignoring me superbly they wedged themselves in between us and invited my companion to dance. Needless to say, he always accepted very gracefully, danced one or two tandas and chatted with the ladies for a while before coming back to our table. After it happened for a fifth time, I was going to bring the subject up, when he said ´You never invite men, do you?´ I admitted I didn´t, and added hurriedly that I, nevertheless, found it a very sensible thing to do. I have rarely seen men decline an invitation from a woman, and have always thought most men rather enjoyed being invited by a woman. But my friend, surprisingly, disagreed with me. Now, to put this into context, he comes from an island in the south of the country, whose men are famed for their manliness, one of the bastions of true manhood, so to speak, where men still carry daggers and will slit your throat if you look at their sister (or at least that is what they claim – they do have a tradition to keep up, you see, and that is no small matter). ´Where I come from, this (women inviting men) does not happen´ he said resolutely. ´Not this often, anyway.´ (understand: it happens all the time, but I would rather die than admit it, it would make us seem so much less macho) ´It is not like here in the capital´ (a slight disapproval in his voice).

And we then had this discussion about the traditional role of the man and the woman in our society, and how our attitudes towards this subject in tango might reflect those in our relationships with the opposite sex in general. I wonder... If a man´s natural instinct really is to chase after the woman while a woman´s instinct should be to wait and attract the chase, rather than to start it herself – then I guess these ´traditional´ roles have indeed become rather confused. I mean, reality certainly challenges this theory that my friend was so deeply convinced of; you can observe that at any milonga, though one might not notice it at first sight. He claimed that man´s natural instinct was to chase, yet of the six women he danced with that night I was the only one he had actually invited himself. Then again, I was also the only one he invited repeatedly. In short – it made me wonder whether men really actually resent being invited by women, although they will accept the invitation without showing any resentment, and might even enjoy it, because it is comfortable and flattering...?

6 comments:

La Nuit Blanche said...

an excellent post. i have been thinking of the cabeceo a lot these past few weeks (a post on it coming soon, as soon as i get back from my vacation!).

it's ironic that in a culture that claims its men are super-macho (argentina), they give the women the most power (compared to any other country), when it comes to invitations. the power of the cabeceo lies in the fact that men are not allowed to invite us to dance, UNLESS WE LET THEM. so, the first initiation to invitation is, in a way, with us women. i think that's very empowering.

maybe the macho men are uncomfortable with inviting BEHAVIOR, as opposed to the actual invitation itself. afterall, with cabeceo, women are always initiating eye contact as well... i think what bothers macho men is the forwardness of women actually going up to them, to ask... i mean, all the macho men in BsAs seem to be ok with women boring into their heads with burning eyes, which i think, is also very forward.

anyway, my 2 centimes. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, as a shy leader, I usually only ask women that I know well and enjoy dancing with.

For me to ask a woman I don't know but would like to dance with from seeing her on the dance floor, I need to make eye contact with her first. If she maintains eye contact then that gives me permission to ask her for a dance (basically a cut down cabaceo).

For me, being asked for a dance directly by a woman, without eye contact or a cabaco is always flattering. Whether it's enjoyable or not depends on how the request is made. If it comes across as a demand for a dance, then it is usually an unenjoyable experience as the demand takes no account of my mood or feelings at the moment.: Do I want to dance at that moment, and with that partner, and to this music? Many women are quite aggressive in asking for (demanding) dances. I guess that some of it is down to competing for the available men. If the request is simply a request that I can accept or refuse then it's enjoyable as it's allowing me to participate in the decision of should we dance and when. Eye contact initiated by a woman comes into this catagory as she is saying to me "Would you like to invite me to dance?" and I have the free choice to pretend I didn't see the eye contact or to accept the invitation to invite.

I used to accept all requests to dance, but now I rarely respond to demands. I've learnt that the women that demand dances, although they may be good dancers, don't usually connect as strongly as those that invite dances. I often end up feeling that I've just had a dance with someone who was dancing on her own and I just happened to be standing in front of her. That seems to miss the point of dancing tango.

I'd much rather dance with someone who is in the mood to dance with me at that moment and to that music and understands that I might refuse if i'm not same mood as her at that moment but may be a little later on.

Anonymous said...

Here an Argentinian super-macho speaking :)
I'm not going to enter in the debate if men are chasers and women waiters. It would be to complex to discuss it here. But I would say that a milonga often reflects what happens in a milonga, but not always. Women inviting me doesn't mean that those women are "chasers", but that they are boring of not dance, or boring of dance with bad leaders.
I will talk now of what happens at least here in the milongas. Yes, is flattering to be invited to dance. But: If a women invites you, you have to say yes. We don't consider nice to say no to a woman, even if she is not very good dancing (ok, if her dance is awful maybe we will say no, but that almost never happen). And then of course is this idea in the head of a man: If she have to invite to dance, she mustn't be very good. So there you go why is not always nice to be invited.
Two things: here women invited men is very, very unusual, unless there is some friendship in which case, all what was said before don't count.
Very interesting subject one2tango. There is a lot of things to say.
Besos, and nice to see you writing again :)

one2tango said...

Merci pour tes deux centimes, chère Nuit:) I reckon you have a point there, women are probably not supposed to invite men because of the codigos, but in reality it makes perfect sense for everyone that they should be able to choose in some way - I mean, I am sure that men, just like women, prefer to know that their partner really wants to dance with them, rather than wonder whether she only accepted out of politeness, right?
And, David, you´re perfectly right in that it makes a world of a difference in the connection between the partners when they choose each other, through eye-contact for example. I rather like that too:)
Hmm.. interesting, what you´re saying, Tanguillo...I did rather suspect that men might think that if a woman asks them to dance it means she doesn´t get invited (well, it IS often the case, I guess - why go and invite someone if you have invitations galore to choose from, right?)- and therefore doesn´t dance very well (which needn´t be the case at all) - but I thought I might be overanalysing the matter. So now I know! :)))

Elizabeth Brinton said...

Well, guess I'll go to BA and find out how this works there! Next Week!

I have never asked a man to dance, and even have a hard time with the cabeceo, but the advantages of it are clear...no public shame for the man in being turned down, and no obligation on the woman's part to accept. Very nice, elegant way to deal with things.

Anonymous said...

"it made me wonder whether men really actually resent being invited by women, although they will accept the invitation without showing any resentment"

Frankly, I wish women would never do it. I think they know that we will probably be too gallant to decline. I am not stuck on believing I'm the greatest dancer in the world, but the truth is they don't leave me alone. I have to go the bathroom to get a break.

It was nice nearly a decade ago when I didn't know anything yet. Then it was encouraging. Now it feels like they want to me to assume the responsibility for whether they're having a good time or not. I resent it.