Sunday, June 29, 2008

A faux pas, or a new trend?

On a more frivolous note -
a couple of weeks ago I attended a big tango event and apart from the fun of getting to dance with people from all around the world I also had the pleasure of watching the show of the teachers, among whom there were some of the greatest couples of both Argentine and international renown. The performances were great, I enjoyed them so much! The last time I had seen these people dance was months ago at the milongas of Buenos Aires, either performing or dancing socially, but here such treats are harder to come by, so of course one appreciates them more;)
Anyhow, there was one aspect of the performances which at first seemed harmlessly amusing but became quite bewildering as the shows went on and I realized this was a recurring feature: in three out of five couples we got to see a lot of the woman´s knickers during the dance - and I don´t mean a glimpse here and there during a particularly high boleo. The fourth couple broke the pattern because nuevo dancers rarely wear skirts, and the fifth one were two men who both wore trousers.
With the first couple it was, by the look of it, a case of a very beautiful dress of an unfortunate cut and material with a very high slit which was to show off the girl´s thigh but, as it slid around her body during the dance, ended up showing off a completely different part of her body, luckily covered by her knickers. Oh well.. that can happen. But as the performances continued, what with high slits and ultra short skirts, the trend became clear.
I certainly don´t mean to criticize the waning morals of our age:) I just think the matter is noteworthy and cannot be waved aside as coincidence. It might even be a new trend in tango fashion, so I point it out here for those of you who want to be up to date;)

BTW, seeing as Eugenia was the one nuevo dancer who wore wide pants and did not show her knickers, I can name her without compromising her, just to say that she is really incredible; the chica is so graceful you can´t take your eyes off her when she´s on the dancefloor, regardless of whether you like tango nuevo or not. I don´t particularly like her style of dancing, but her moves are so full of grace, it is simply a pleasure to watch. And I really liked her with Ezequiel, they have a lovely connection and on the dancefloor they are just two beautiful people.

8 comments:

La Tanguerita said...

It’s such a coincidence - I was wondering about the very same thing today. This weekend I've been at Tangocamp in Düsseldorf and it's been pretty the same story: in four performances there were extremely short dresses or skirts with slits: loooots of knickers. Just Giselle Ann and Eugenia Parilla wore trousers. Oh, and Özhan& Serkan, obviously:-)
And I agree about Eugenia: she is very lovely and they make a very cute couple.

Anonymous said...

I blame Forever Tango, which started the trend of those absurd dresses slit to the throat and beaucoup knickerage. They opened the door for ever more scanty attire - obviously only in women.

At least the gals you saw wore "knickers". Brace yourselves for the inevitable thong....

Anonymous said...

You guys are lucky... last time I saw a perfomance everyone got to see more than they ever wished for... let your imagination fill in the blanks..

Anonymous said...

It's not only shows either! A new trend that seems to emerge at the milonga is visible stockings and (of course) knickers. Up to now i only thought it was bad taste. I haven't realized that it started from professionals.

Having said that, trousers are not without danger! A few days ago i was wearing gaucho pants, wide around the legs, and i caught my heel in the material. It was very embarrassing. Thankfully i managed to keep my balance and i was dancing with a close friend who held me while i extricated my shoe.
This has even happened to Eugenia, who is ,I agree, wonderful (although i think i preferred her with Chicho)

Ana

one2tango said...

Dear Tanguerita,
it is not a coincidence, really - the tangocamp teachers must travel light, so they probably always perform in the same clothes;)
But I am glad you all confirm my suspicion this is not just an isolated case but a trend that is taking over the milongas.
Gotta run now to cut a long slit in a boring knee-length skirt of mine:)))

msHedgehog said...

Your taking the trouble to point out that both of the two men wore trousers has just filled my visual imagination with Gay Tango In Kilts.

Thanks for that.

The knickers are just distracting. (BTW, I use 'knickers' in the general British english sense, which would include the kind that may have to be removed by a dental surgeon)

Mtnhighmama said...

I had a not so lovely dance with a man in a kilt recently...

though, I think the kilt had nothing to do with the not-so-loveliness of the dance.

Is it possible that no one's told them we can see their panties?

miss tango said...

Well at least as tango padawan pointed out, be grateful they were wearing knickers!

I was at Confitería Ideal a few years ago, and one of the old milongeros was proudly showing me his portofolio with photos from various performances. I did a double take, yet did not say anything to him, although I should have, but what would I have said except, "MY GOD! The woman in that photo need to weed wack that bush down!"