Monday, November 05, 2007

The path of tango

Tango has taught me patience.

Tango has taught me humility. (I never had a shred of either, mind you.)

Tango has taught me to be more optimistic and less cynical,

to accept failure knowing that it is only one of the steps towards reaching my goal,

to be warm and friendly to strangers without worrying whether they will also be friendly to me,

to appreciate other people more,

to take tango (and life) seriously while being aware that it is not worth fussing about.

I have a Buddhist friend who says that when I talk to him about tango, it reminds him of studying buddhism. I can see the point now. There are different paths to learning and understanding, and everyone chooses his own.

This is what I had in mind when I chose the name of my blog, but I had no idea it would prove to be so true.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true. Also tango has teach me to be focus and relaxed at the same time. And to be more intrepid and courageous too.
Besos.

Maria said...

Beautiful post!!!!

To me,

Tango has taught me to love myself more and to be more understanding of others

Tango has taught me to forgive myself more and to be equally patient with others

Tango has taught me that there was a part of me I didn't know about

Tango has made me braver and daring

Tango has taught me about life.

tangobaby said...

Your post and all of the comments that follow are beautiful.

Before I started tango, I used to spend a lot of time in meditation communities, with people who devote their lives to the pursuit of enlightenment and bettering themselves. I always felt like the one who wasn't quite catching on.

Like you have discovered, there are different ways of experiencing the same truths in life. It just never occured to me that I would get there through tango, instead of sitting on a cushion with my eyes closed and repeating a mantra.

This is a great post. Thank you for sharing.

one2tango said...

Thank you all for such kind comments - I am delighted it works like this for others, too. Tango as an alternative to meditation, then? ;)
Tangobaby, I haven't read the Tao of Tango yet, but will definitely be following the book club!

tangobaby said...

Well, there's walking meditation...why not dancing meditation?

;-)

Please know that you can join into the book club discussion at any time...the questions are inspired by the book but will hopefully resonate with everyone.

Psyche said...

I completely agree! Tango is very zen for me, that was the thing that first drew me to it, that very present 'no mind' state of mind.

Tai Chi used to have a similar effect on me, but it didn't give me the corresponding joy and elation that I also get from tango, on good days.

Tango is definitely part of my spiritual practice, and stretches all my other facilities too, as it tends to bring my hang-ups to the surface to be worked upon.