Monday, August 06, 2007

The weekend milongas

This weekend the weather was lovely, even by other-than-Dutch standards:) and so, apart from going to the seaside, I danced a lot – outside!

I began on Friday at the Academia del Tango in Amsterdam. I was advised against this practica by a chance acquaintance (but an experienced dancer), still, I went there, because a friend I hadn´t seen for a while insisted it was really nice and practically like a salon. What can I say, perhaps I ought to have taken the advice; but I really wanted to check out this place. It is perhaps the oldest tango school in Amsterdam and very conveniently situated in the centre. And it wasn´t bad, but, well, it was a practica and it showed on the level of dancing – though it is true that some good dancers started coming in later in the evening. There is, however, one significant drawback to the Academia: it has a linoleum floor! And slippery like hell – it was like dancing on ice! It was not so bad for the slow tangos (though I did put in a lots of circle adornos to enhance my stability..) but the milongas! Some of my dancers found it amusing, you know, there are some fancy moves which are easier to execute on a slippery floor but, frankly, something resembling an ice revue is not my idea of what a milonga should be like. I really found that rather disappointing, because I think that if you decide to open a tango school, with all kinds of tango events, than surely a decent wooden floor ought to be your primary concern..?

On Saturday I went to an open-air milonga in a park in Leiden, and that was really wonderful. The setting was great, the people very nice, lovely dancing and I also managed to take some lovely pictures – to see here.

But the most impressive milonga was definitely the one on Sunday, in the Muziekgebouw, a modern glass building opening on the Amsterdam harbour, with a wooden terrace outside. As there were all-glass walls you could dance and watch the sun set over the harbour – beautiful. Besides it was really warm, so the doors were left wide open and people circulated freely between the dancefloor, the café next to it, and the terrace outside.

I got invited about five times, but somehow I didn´t get to dance with any really good leaders:(

The thing is, I expected it to be outside, and not knowing what floor there would be, I brought my oldest, plain black shoes with rather low heels which I only wear to classes and outside milongas with rough floor... And I forgot that, in a place where people don´t know you and don´t have a clue whether you are a good dancer or not, the only chance of getting invited by good leaders is to wear your flashiest shoes...and watching all these girls with extravagant Neo-tango and Comme Il Faut shoes I was cursing myself for leaving my lovely favourite pale-pink-satin-and-black-lace Comme Il Fauts at home... oh well.

5 comments:

m i l e s said...

HI,

I just added your blog to my blog site.

http://www.tangobliss.com/

I've enjoyed reading your entries....and I thought I was prolific!

M i l e s.

Anonymous said...

Besides shoes a good "Dos Nu" dress works fine too :-)
Most of my partners use it as a ultimate "no planchear" trick in Buenos Aires.

one2tango said...

Hello Miles,
thank you! I am going through a prolific phase right now:) but it varies with time...
Now, Patadura, it´s funny that you should mention that - because I actually WAS wearing a ´dos nu´ top - some extra smartness to compensate for the shoes, I thought... and, IMHO, I looked stunning. But that was just to get this straight:) ´cos frankly - gone are my beginner days when I was happy to attract ANY leader, to be able to dance. Now I only care to attract GOOD leaders - and for that, good shoes are a safer option;)

tangobaby said...

May I ask what a Dos Nu dress or top is? Is there a link you can share? Thanks!

one2tango said...

Tangobaby, a ´dos nu´ is just the French for ´bare-back´ - no big secret (but efficient, surely;)